25 August 2008

Finally!

Finally !

It all started while I was recording Sugarfree's third album in mid-2006. In one visit to hook up with his brother Ebe, Vin asked if I could comment on a bunch of songs he had written. I gave him my standard instructions for making demos (just guitar and vocals, please), and sent him on his way. Ebe, Buddy Zabala, and Raimund Marasigan warned me that I would be more than pleased with what Vin had been up to, so I eagerly anticipated the submission. I'm not sure of the date anymore, but Vin eventually delivered a CD filled with wonderful songs later that year. I liked them so much that I suggested he record them as simply as possible, the only addition being another guitar player. This appproach was based on the fact that Vin had already been rejected by a couple of record companies, and had little money for studio expenses. But Raimund had already heard the songs, and their approach was very different. Raimund advised Vin to put together a band. He reasoned that Vin is a great front man, and a band would propel the songs better than a guitar duo. I told him that whatever he decided, he should make sure the band would not overpower the songs.

I'm glad Vin followed Raimund's advice. The next time I saw Vin was at 70's Bistro with his "new" band in early '07. While the sound and performing conditions were not ideal that night, I knew the band was terrific. Kakoy, Simon and Abe are sensitive virtuosos who don't hit you over the head just to prove their musicianship. Its just what Raimund and I lobbied for in our own divergent ways. I just made a few comments on instrumental balances, and again sent them on their way. 

In the middle of that year, Vin asked me to attend a recording session at Shinji's Tanaka's Sound Creation studio. Vin had put together enough money for one session, and wanted to record three songs for possible airplay. The session was magical. Buddy summed it up perfectly, saying "ang sarap talaga ng magagaling." Two of the three songs eventually made their way to radio airplay. 

Later that year, Vin asked me to attend another round of recordings. But when I asked him if he had the funds to pull it off, he couldn't give me a straight answer. He still didn't have a record deal, or even a manager. So I advised him to put things on hold until funds were in place, because I don't like incurring debts in a studio. This sent me into a phase of intense frustration. I was angry at the recording industry at large for failing to pick up on the great music, and an equally stellar band. It was so unfair, and I felt powerless to help them. I could only pray the this wouldn't last forever. 

Then in April of this year, Vin called me and said Thirdline had agreed to manage the band. I like Thirdline's laid back, but thoroughly detailed style of management.  So I was very happy that the band would be in good hands. Thirdline focused on their live performance skills, gave them more rehearsal time, and booked more gigs. A month ago, Butch told me he wanted to start recording, with or without a record deal, because he felt they were ready. Dates were made, final rehearsals were held, and musical arrangements were fine tuned. 

It's been a long road since I heard Vin's demos in 2006. But in hindsight, it has been worth it. Recording starts tonight. 

Finally!