02 October 2008

The Gift Of Music

One of the things I enjoy when meeting and working with artists is the exchange of works. Sometimes, people give me demos and recordings because they want my honest opinion. Vin's original demos for what became the songs for Peryodiko's first album was one of these. He recently reminded the band that I was so blown away by the songs that I never talked to him about the music, but instead went on a tirade about how stupid the music industry was by ignoring it. Since we hit the studio, Abe's wife Ria has also let me hear various stuff from their musician friends. Being the teacher that I am, I always take some time out to analyze the songs, and dispense my honest comments. These demos are the gems of my collection because it shows the songs in their rawest but purest form, devoid of sugar-coated distractions.

In other cases, I get CDs as gifts. Earlier this month, Simon gave me a copy of WDOUJI's second "indy" album entitled "Zen & The Art Of Dressmaking" The CD was never marketed commercially, so he has since just given it away to friends. My favorite cut from the album turns out to be one of his compositions, "A Distant Soil". A week later, Kakoy gave me a copy of "Salindiwa", a concept album in which he played guitar. The packaging was as stunning as the playing. Like Simon's CD, it was independently produced and was not widely marketed. In return, I gave everyone a copy of my "gift" album, "Makinao", which contains stuff I have put together in my computer since 1999.

I've heard many people, both music fans and musicians, say that the Philippine music landscape is boring and empty. But in my mind, this negative opinion is based only on what the mainstream music industry chooses to release commercially. If my little music collection of demos, unmarketed albums, assorted odds and ends, and musical gifts are any indication, then music is alive and well in the country. Its how I got hooked on Vin's songs. And I think its not hard to imagine that there is more out there.